Thursday, August 9, 2012

The fifth city

The stars aligned once again for Onslo and me to be in the same place at the same time. After meeting in Cat Ba four and a half years ago, we had brief encounters in New York City, Chiang Mai and Hanoi. In this occasion, the city was Bangkok. After a couple of hours from Pattaya and a taxi ride I arrived at the Oasis Inn a few minutes after he had checked in.


It is surreal being in the company of someone you know at a strange place. It gives you the impression that there is something strange happening, like when you dream about someone but that person has a different physical appearance than in real life; or when you dream you are at a place you know well but it does not look quite like the one you know in the awake world.


In any event, we felt comforted in each other’s company, especially at a time of great transition for both. Onslo is leaving the rock-climbing/adventure travel company he founded six years ago in the Cat Ba Island in Vietnam and moving out of South East Asia. And I… Well, you know.


Encouraged by Onslo I finally got my first massage since I got into Thailand. It was not the traditional Thai massage that I was trained to do (using pressure points and stretches) but an oil massage. I think I will have to learn how to do that kind of massage this time around. It is easier for the giver and more relaxing for the receiver.

Being in Bangkok for a weekend reconfirmed my original inclination towards not living in this monstrous city. Thailand’s capital is huge, loud, uncontrollable. Since I had already seen the big famous temples during my first visit to Thailand, I just stayed in the neighborhood of the hotel. The Oasis Inn is located on a small and quiet Soi and is absolutely a little piece of paradise.
Oasis Inn


Oh, Monday morning! Onslo and I had breakfast at a café where they teach tango and salsa lessons in the weekends and then hugged goodbye. As sad as farewells are, he and I are used to seeing each other once a year or so. It is like we are immune to gloomy goodbyes. Moreover, since we are now in the same part of the world, I think we are both hoping to meet again soon.


I packed for the seventh time in the course of a month and departed to the very long trip to Khun Han, Sisaket province, in the Eastern part of Thailand.

No comments:

Post a Comment