Thursday, March 27, 2014

A night or pure LOVE: My first encounter with Ayahuasca

Several years ago, while on a business trip in the Peruvian jungle, I was surprised to see someone I knew from Washington, DC. We were at the tiny airport of a town called Tarapoto and he was the only white, tall man in the building. I approached him and asked him what he was doing that remote place. He said he was there to meet a shaman who would make him drink a plant brew for a deep cleanse. The thought of being sick and vomiting with a medicine man in a far-off jungle sounded terrifying to me.  I put that strange idea out of my mind.

Still, as many other crazy things that I casually heard about and ended up doing (such as living abroad, learning Thai massage, backpacking, etc.), the message inadvertently slipped into my brain for later use. And the day came when I would cleanse myself with the sacred plant through a shamanic ceremony.

While in Thailand I had heard the personal experience of a fellow Argentinean with Ayahuasca, the sacred plant. She told me that taking Ayahuasca had led her to deep understanding about her life. Instead of traveling to the Peruvian jungle, she had had the experience with a “Brazilian” shaman in Buenos Aires. Upon listening to her enthusiastic narrative about it, I became determined to try Ayahuasca in my next trip to Argentina.

So a few nights ago I stepped into a room full of people lined up along the walls, resting on yoga mats, camping mattresses, sleeping bags and blankets, expecting to achieve self-knowledge and heal themselves. Shaking with fright, I laid on my massage mattress, head against a big-windowed wall. Soon thereafter, the ceremony began. The shaman, who did not look like a medicine man, but more like a loving hippie white guy with big tattoos, briefly explained how the night would go. It was about ten in the evening and the ceremony would end in the morning. Each of us would drink two small glasses of the brew. For the first take, we walked in turns towards the shaman under the light of one candle. While I drank mine my heart was beating frantically but I returned to my mattress, laid down on my back with my hands on my stomach and started to relax, listening to the lovely Indian music. Sometime later, the shaman brought us a second glass –we were to dizzy to walk towards him. When he finished the round, the musicians started playing in the dark. They played the most upbeat and delightful music, music of the jungle, mystic music from South American instruments.

I was expecting to start hallucinating immediately after the second glass. Instead, my mind started resisting. I thought that the brew had had no effect on me. I imagined myself shamefully complaining in the morning, being the only one person for whom Ayahuasca had done nothing. I heard others cry, toss and turn, and throw up. And I was just lying there, unaffected, waiting for a third glass that never came. The struggle went on for a long time until somehow, I surrendered to the music, to the shaman, to a reality my mind did not understand. That is how, for a few hours before dawn, I had the most amazing realizations of my life. I comprehended the Universe, God, and human life in a most profound way. The waves of emotion I felt were so powerful that I cried with all my body. In between those waves, there was only beauty and pleasure.

Around three AM the musicians stopped their gorgeous melodies and they started playing recorded music. Until the morning came, I reviewed the revelations of the night and could not stop smiling, knowing that life is all love and is never-ending.

I was able to stand and leave the place at around nine. I felt as if I was extremely drunk without being sick. My body felt strange, as if I had not been in it during the previous hours. I think I had not.

The revelations were very clear; however I do not want to go into details about them because each person gets what he needs. What I can say is that my night with Ayahuasca was the most pleasurable and healing experience and I am looking forward to repeating it with the new inquiries that opened up.



*There is lots of information about Ayahuasca online. I encourage you to learn more about it and, definitely, try it. Ayahuasca is a gift from Mother Earth and our ancestors to help us heal and be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment