Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Aparigraha

In India, someone told me that certain swamis, especially in the Jain religion, practice their unattachment by never staying in one place more than three days. I thought it hypocritical. Certainly, no one can become attached to anything or anyone in just three days. The real challenge is in creating relationships and then leaving.

On the taxi ride from Cool Residence to Phuket International Airport I recalled the swamis and contemplated, once more, my hypocrisy. After all, I also had a non-attachment rule: not staying anywhere for more than a year. And, because I had broken it, I was deeply sad. My eyes filled with tears when I said goodbye to Pooh and Pu, my landlords; I sobbed while passing the roads that had become so familiar and would one day turn into a mingle of flashing pictures in my memory; and I cried out of frustration, lost dreams, lack of love, and pain that would flourish into light someday.

When I sat inside the plane my heart still hurt, but I was done. I was ready to leave. Up in the air I looked through the window and I saw Phuket, so hazy in the sunset light. I saw its green, soft hills, the contour of the coast, the thin border of sand before the infinite blueness. Its sight had filled me with enthusiasm in my first flight into the island.

The much dreaded hours of flights went by easily. I did not sleep almost at all and was able to catch up with all the movies that I had missed in a year of not going to the theaters. I finally landed in a white city that I knew well. And I cried again. I could have kissed the ground or the immigration officer as happy as I was about being back.

Being everywhere and nowhere.  Being impermanent.


*Aparigraha means non-possessiveness. This vow is to observe detachment from people, places and material things.

No comments:

Post a Comment