Sunday, December 16, 2012

A place in the world


I live at the footsteps of Khao Rang, also known as Rang Hill. It is a northern neighborhood in Phuket Town, in the Phuket District. There are three districts in the island of Phuket: Thalang (in the North), Kathu (towards the West) and Muang Phuket. It is a rather quiet area at only steps from the busy section of Phuket Town where all the restaurants and shops are. I have a balcony with fabulous views of the town, the hills, and the unbelievable sunsets. It is quite funny that I could describe my apartment in Washington, D.C., with almost identical words. This – and other thoughts I have been having lately- make me think that we are such constant beings that no matter where we are we manage to have pretty similar routines.
Sunrise at Khao Rang

Until yesterday, my friend Sam lived in the same building, the Cool Residence. He decided he had enough of living in a hotel room and moved to a house that he shares with another teacher, Amy. It was very sad for me because I loved having him close by and going for dinner together. It made me come out of my usual solitude. I always try to have my own quiet times and then wonder if that is healthy. This is something I have been thinking about as well, since it is a constant in my life, no matter where I live.

It is not all lonely times, however. I do meet the other teachers at the beach or at the villa in Kathu, where many of them live (where Sam now lives) and I keep my custom of organizing events to bring people together. The last weekend we went to Krabi and in January we will go to Khao Sok National Park. And, of course, there is always the market, a meeting place where we go religiously.

No comments:

Post a Comment